University of Iowa Medical Department faculty, 1870-71
Eight physicians served the University of Iowa Medical Department during its first year of classes on the university campus. Seated (L to R) are Philo J. Farnsworth, chair of materia medica; Washington Peck, dean and chair of surgery; and John H. Dillon, chair of medical jurisprudence. Standing (L to R) are Gustavus Hinrichs, chair of chemistry; John C. Shrader, chair of obstetrics; William B. Robertson, chair of theory and practice in medicine; William D. Middleton, chair of physiology; and Elmer F. Clapp, chair of anatomy. Clapp succeeded James H. Boucher, who resigned earlier in the school year.
Background information is featured in The Rise of a University Teaching Hospital: A Leadership Perspective by Samuel Levey, et al.